Progress

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Healing nicely.

I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

The recovery from this surgery went so much more smoothly than my last two procedures. I feel great. I'm down to 205 pounds, and I'm super excited about the prospect of breaking 200. I think once I do, I should treat myself to something nice, say maybe... a pedicure and a new pair of shoes? Not just regular shoes- I want a nice pair of strappy heeled sandals that I can wear on our cruise.

I've been doing really well with my diet. I ate out for the first time since I started eating well, and I think I did a pretty good job. Granted, I had to search through nutritional information online for several restaurants before I could even make a decision as to where we would go, which was a little time consuming, but worth it. Just seeing the nutritional values for foods at popular restaurants was enough to make me not even want to walk through the door. Now, when I see the fast food I once enjoyed, I don't think "Mmmmm... I wish I could eat that." Instead, I think, "Wow. Calorie city!"

I ended up choosing Red Robin. Their website is awesome- they have a program where you can customize your meal and it will calculate the nutritional value of your order, which was REALLY helpful, especially since I never eat things as they're made. It sure beat the hell out of searching through a PDF with lists of numbers. At Red Robin, I got the Bruschetta Chicken Burger, which normally has 832 calories and 48 grams of fat the way it's prepared, and that's not including the fries it comes with. I was shocked by that- I think it's easy to assume that the grilled chicken sandwich is the better choice on a menu, but it was just as bad as their loaded burgers. So I used their online Customizer to mess around with condiments and toppings and to build my meal. The way I prepared the sandwich, and with a side of apple slices, I managed to turn it into a meal with 557 calories and 18 grams of fat. That's a little high for what I normally eat, but it beats the hell out of it's original nutritional value. There are times when you have to eat out, and it's just about making the best of it.

I'm hoping to be able to hit the gym next week, even if it's just for light workouts to start. A light workout is better than no workout. I have a post-op follow up with my surgeon on Monday, so we'll see what he says.

No comments:

Post a Comment