Progress

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Surgery tomorrow.

One last hurdle until I can really start working out. As much as I need the surgery, I don't want to have it. I don't want incisions through my abdominal muscles- I don't need them to be any weaker than they are, and I don't want anything that could cause an injury later on when I'm working out. The hardest part is going to be having patience while I recover- I have a high pain tolerance and I don't want to push it and end up hurting myself. Since I'm already itching to go to the gym, I'll be even more eager as more time slips by. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, huh?

The other thing I'm worried about is being able to eat whatever I want again. I'll tell ya- having the fear of God put into you by the threat of a gallbladder attack is an AWESOME diet tool. lol However, although I'm keeping my fat and calorie intake at bay, I'm not getting enough variety to get the nutrition that I need, and I don't want my body to go into survival mode and shut down on me, preventing weight loss.

I know everything is all about moderation, and I can still have some of the foods I used to enjoy, but in a world of out-of-control portion sizes, it's so hard! I mean, a pasta entree from Applebees contains enough servings for a few people, but it's not a family style restaurant. It's supposed to be eaten by one person. Let's say I'm on the go and get a blueberry muffin from Dunkin Donuts. That muffin is several times the size of a normal muffin portion. So the logical thing would be to only eat a little bit of it, right? Well, that's all well and good, but then the rest of the muffin is sitting there, taunting you. And you don't want to throw it away and waste the money you just spent on it. So you eat the rest of the muffin. I guess the moral of the story is: make your own muffins, and make them the right size. I'm just going to learn how to be ready for on-the-go situations- have food weighed out and packaged so I can just grab it and head out the door. I think also doing research about the nutritional information for popular restaurants is key- it would be a good idea to know at least one item I can safely order off a menu in a pinch. Let's face it- this is the real world. I can't be home in my kitchen 24/7.

No comments:

Post a Comment