Progress

Friday, May 14, 2010

Today's workout, and a problem with BMI....

I was just reading an article in Women's Health magazine, and it reminded me of something. You know what drives me crazy? I'm built like a bulldog. I'm short and stocky with a bigger bone structure, and I've always been pretty muscular. OK, that's not the part that drives me crazy. What drives me crazy is that since I'm so short, with a propensity for building muscle, the standard BMI calculation will always categorize me as being too heavy based on my height and weight alone. Like, right now, with my height at 5'2" (which is never going to change, unless it goes down), and a weight of 201 pounds, my BMI is 36.8, which makes me "obese". I would have to weigh 163 pounds to get my BMI down to 29.8 and at the end of the spectrum for the "overweight" category, and 136 pounds to bring my BMI to 24.9, the maximum threshold for the "normal" category. I'm sorry, but this frame is not built to weigh 136 pounds. I'm sure my bones and my current muscles alone weigh more than that. I could be less than 10% body fat and still exceed that weight. Oh wait. I'll never have that little body fat- I actually have boobs and an ass, and I'd like to keep those, thankyouverymuch.

The thing that pisses me off about the standard BMI calculation is that there are things in the medical world that use that, and that alone, to determine a person's eligibility for certain things. Take egg donation for example. I've looked into it, and I'm not gonna lie, it was mainly for the money. It pays $3-4k per cycle. That's a LOT of money for very little work. But every place I checked out, they wanted to know your BMI, and if it was higher than like 28-30, you were automatically ineligible. This is crazy. I mean, they seem to be reasoning that since I have a higher BMI, that I'm unhealthy and unfit for the process. I don't see what difference it makes. Someone in the "normal" BMI range could eat junk food all day, have diabetes, and smoke cigarettes. But they're "normal", so that's ok? Obese women get pregnant and have babies all the time. I've successfully completed my own IVF cycle with good response and no complications. Some of the women who are looking for donor eggs are heavier and want the donor to have similar physical traits. I don't see why it matters, and it feels almost discriminatory.

Ok, stepping down from my soapbox.... Here's today's workout:

Bike 18 min @ 85-100 rpm; 2x1min sprints @ 125 rpm; 7.5 mi
Leg extension 1x15 @ 40 lbs, 2x20 @ 20
Calf extension 1x15 @ 50, 2x20 @ 30
Hip adduction 1x15 @ 100, 2x20 @ 50
Hip abduction 1x15 @ 100, 2x20 @ 50
Glutes 1x15 @ 60, 2x20 @ 30 (per side)
Leg press 1x15 @ 70, 2x20 @ 40
Leg curl 1x15 @ 50, 2x20 @ 25
Bike 5 min @ 95 rpm, 2 mi
Ab curl 1x15 @ 60, 2x20 @ 30
Obliques 1x15 @ 60, 2x20 @ 30 (per side)
Back extension 1x15 @ 80, 2x20 @ 40

No comments:

Post a Comment